As multi-family homes increase in popularity, here's how they will impact green building and how you can prepare.
Multi-family investment properties are increasing in popularity, and they now represent a significant proportion of existing building stock in urban areas. Therefore, multi-family properties are considered perfect opportunities to improve sustainability. Homebuilders and architects alike are capitalizing on these opportunities for more reasons aside from return on investment. Out of the single-family and multi-family homebuilders that participated in a survey conducted by Dodge Data & Analytics and the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), 33 percent reported that green building accounts for over 60 percent of their total projects. Furthermore, out of the multi-family builders, almost 30 percent revealed that green building accounts for over 90 percent of their portfolio. Over the next five years, it is believed that almost half of single and multi-family builders will find that their overall activity is 60 percent green building. NAHB Chairman Granger MacDonald, a homebuilder from Texas, stated that "These findings show green building has become an established part of the residential construction landscape." Members of the NAHB are clearly recognizing the potential market of green building, and furthermore of green building in multi-family homes. That potential is huge.