VISION House Aspen
The VISION House Aspen demonstrated the styles, technologies, and products appropriate for a ‘mountain contemporary’ custom home in a high-end resort setting. Located in a spectacular setting on McClain Flats on the outskirts of Aspen, Colorado, the lot has 360-degree panoramic views of Aspen Mountain, Snowmass Mountain, and the Upper Roaring Fork Valley. The area has a rich history steeped in mining and is now a leading international mountain resort that attracts a wide variety of tourists from around the globe. The VISION House Aspen showcased that green can be glamorous, resource efficient, durable, and cost-effective.
The goals of VISION House Aspen were to:
- Design and build a house that is site-specific, climate driven and glamorously green.
- Develop a model for sustainable development in the Roaring Fork Valley that can be replicated in other world class locations.
- Provide multiple educational opportunities and ongoing testing of products and systems.
- Compare multiple green building programs, including the Pitkin County Efficient Building Program, Built Green Colorado, NAHB National Green Building Program, and LEED-Home.
- Design and build a house that meets the expectations of high-end buyers in the Aspen market while showing how a sustainably-constructed home can reduce environmental impact, operating costs, and long term maintenance.
- Develop a model for a carbon, energy, and water neutral home.