Video: New, Award-Winning Self-Leveling Underlayment
USG Durock™ Brand EcoCap™ Self-Leveling has just won the 2015 Innovator of the Year Award from The Executives’ Club of Chicago. Here's why.
With its geopolymer binder technology, USG Durock™ Brand EcoCap™ Self-Leveling Underlayment is a quick-setting, eco-friendly cement-based product for use over concrete subfloors and wood subfloors in interior applications.
Mixed with water at the job site, USG Durock™ Brand EcoCap™ Self-Leveling Underlayment:
- Is environmentally sustainable with a high (75 percent of the cementitious binder) recycled content, low embodied energy and low carbon footprint. USG says, “Portland cement is one of the largest contributors of CO2 emissions. For each ton of Portland cement made, one ton of CO2 emissions is produced. The Geopolymer binder of Durock™ EcoCap™ is made using a large quantity of industrial byproduct (fly ash) that is instrumental in keeping the CO2 contribution of the product to very low levels. Compared to Portland cement, the net reduction in CO2 emissions resulting from the Durock™ EcoCap™ binder is approximately 80%.”
- Allows installation of ceramic tile and natural stone in 4 hours; other floor coverings in 16 hours.
- Offers superior crack resistance due to low shrinkage, superior thermal stability and exceptional bond.
- Is quick-setting – open to light foot traffic in 2 hours.
- May be applied from featheredge to 2 in. thick; is extendable to 5 in. with aggregate.
- Has a low surface pH that provides enhanced compatibility with floor-covering adhesives.
“This award celebrates our culture of innovation, which has made USG a leader in moving the construction industry forward for more than 110 years,” said Dominic Dannessa, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer for USG.
Dr. Srinivas Veeramasuneni, Vice President of the USG Corporate Innovation Center in Libertyville, IL., accepted the award on USG’s behalf at The Executives’ Club Annual Meeting and Awards Luncheon, which was attended by leaders in Chicago’s business community.
This YouTube video shows the self-leveling underlayment install at The Brix in Milwaukee, a renovation from industrial to residential use..
For more information: