FOR 2013, OWENS CORNING WAS NAMED THE INDUSTRY LEADER for the DJSI World Building Products component. Composed of global sustainability leaders, the DJSI World Index is an elite listing of the world's largest companies based on long-term economic, environmental and social criteria.
"This is a milestone year on many levels for Owens Corning, including the celebration of today's news and the year-long celebration of our company's 75th anniversary," said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mike Thaman. "One of the keys to our success yesterday, today and especially tomorrow, is the energy our people put toward our sustainability strategy."
"Meeting the needs of the present without compromising the world that we leave to the future is this company's unwavering commitment," said Owens Corning Chief Sustainability Officer Frank O'Brien-Bernini. "Our people continue to prove that our customers, our communities, our employees and our investors can see significant benefits from that strategy."
Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across both of its business segments: Building Materials and Composites. The company recently reported its sustainability progress in its 7th Sustainability Report. Some highlights include:
- Achieved our 11th-consecutive year of safety improvement, punctuated by the introduction of a company-wide policy to eliminate cell phone usage while driving.
- Successfully achieved all seven of its first 10-year environmental footprint goals as of year-end 2012.
- Completed several greenhouse gas reduction projects while laying the groundwork for many others, including diesel-to-natural gas transportation fuel-switching, fuel cells, waste heat recovery, biomass, solar, and combined heat and power.
- Partnered with The World Resources Institute on its Aqueduct project to conduct a global water stress assessment of Owens Corning's global operations and completed several successful major water use reduction projects in stressed areas.
- Released the first Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) for fiberglass insulation inNorth America.
- Donated enough insulation and roofing material to reroof 283 homes and insulate more than 1,000 homes for those in need.
- Strengthened our Supplier Code of Conduct (as an integral part of our supplier management program), as well as our Employee Code of Conduct to create explicit expectations relative to sustainability.
- Achieved more than 60 percent shingle recycling availability, allowing our unqualified statement that "Shingles are Recyclable."
- Earned a 10th consecutive perfect score on the HRC Corporate Equality Index.