For better and worse, our lives have moved online during the pandemic. Some of these changes are likely to stay. What will this mean to the built environment?
According to COGNITION Smart Data, Green Builder Media’s suite of market intelligence and data services, the coronavirus has shifted consumer demands with respect to smart home technologies.
Before the pandemic, smart home system adoption was driven primarily by the entertainment and security categories—namely, TVs, speakers, and cameras.
According to a COGNITION survey,the most common smart home system purchase drivers are:
However, over the past seven months, there has been a surging interest in a broader range of home automation and smart home applications. This is because homeowners recognize that advanced connected living technologies offer augmented levels of convenience, efficiency, comfort, health, and independence.
COGNITION data indicates that a quantum shift is underway. There is tremendous growth in the adoption of advanced technologies that address energy efficiency, indoor air quality, and water monitoring.
Given current trends, baseline smart home offerings should include:
- Security—cameras, locks, intruder alerts, remote check-in/monitoring
- Smart thermostats that link to intelligent HVAC and mechanical systems
- Indoor air quality monitors/sensors
- Water heating, monitoring, and leak detection
- Carbon monoxide/smoke detectors
- Smart switches/plugs
- Built-in data protection and privacy technologies/protocols
- Enhanced connectivity and bandwidth capabilities to address increased working/schooling from home
Upgraded offerings should include:
- Smart appliances
- Integrated IAQ system—monitors/sensors connect with vent fans, ERVs, range hoods, etc. to facilitate fresh air exchange
- Smart irrigation system
- Integration with solar system
- Aging in place functionality for active adults—non-intrusive cameras/monitors, fall detection, voice-controlled technologies
For more information about connected living trends and the most in-demand technologies, sign up for a COGNITION subscription.
About COGNITION Smart Data:
COGNITION Smart Data offers advanced intelligence and insights about market trends and important customer information like behavioral patterns, purchase drivers, buying preferences and sentiment. COGNITION enables clients to make informed business decisions, yielding specific deliverables and tangible results. COGNITION provides a definitive competitive advantage by allowing companies to stay a step ahead of their competitors.